Monday, April 12, 2004
What was I thinking, dreaming about people (including myself) _auditioning_ for NDP performance? And worse, the finale song was Music's Always There In Your Heart. But I'm not silly, stop calling me silly. Argh. I'm going for breakfast soon.
8.15pm
Why is it that everytime I have dinner with China people, the topic of discussion would somehow be serious matters, whether reflecting education or social issues? Today's discussion went from geopolitics to gender/social classes stuff. I bet we spent half an hour talking about them. I just realised my next paper is on Friday and not Thursday. Argh. Practically no need to study liao.
Words of comfort don't mean much when the damage has been done.
5 social escorts missing for 25 yrs, suspected to have been illegally trafficked as sex slaves on floating brothels. Inhumane.
Chromosomal DNA is compacted by coiling and supercoiling. If the DNA in a single human chromosome were uncoiled so that it was a perfectly linear molecule, it would measure between 2.5-5 cm in length. If all the DNA molecules in the nucleus of a human cell were uncoiled and lined up end to end, they would measure more than 1 m in length.
In humans, there is a striking relationship between advanced maternal age and nondisjunction. The frequency of Down syndrome (a broad spectrum of abnormalities) is 4 per 10000 births in 20-yr-old women but increases dramatically to about 200 per 10000 in women who are 45 or older. Mothers over 35 give birth to 35-50% of the infants with abnormal numbers of chromosomes. Down syndrome emphasizes the central role of chromosomes in inheritance and the necessity for cell division to be error-free. Maternal age and paternal age are both important factors in meiotic mistakes.
8.15pm
Why is it that everytime I have dinner with China people, the topic of discussion would somehow be serious matters, whether reflecting education or social issues? Today's discussion went from geopolitics to gender/social classes stuff. I bet we spent half an hour talking about them. I just realised my next paper is on Friday and not Thursday. Argh. Practically no need to study liao.
Words of comfort don't mean much when the damage has been done.
5 social escorts missing for 25 yrs, suspected to have been illegally trafficked as sex slaves on floating brothels. Inhumane.
Chromosomal DNA is compacted by coiling and supercoiling. If the DNA in a single human chromosome were uncoiled so that it was a perfectly linear molecule, it would measure between 2.5-5 cm in length. If all the DNA molecules in the nucleus of a human cell were uncoiled and lined up end to end, they would measure more than 1 m in length.
In humans, there is a striking relationship between advanced maternal age and nondisjunction. The frequency of Down syndrome (a broad spectrum of abnormalities) is 4 per 10000 births in 20-yr-old women but increases dramatically to about 200 per 10000 in women who are 45 or older. Mothers over 35 give birth to 35-50% of the infants with abnormal numbers of chromosomes. Down syndrome emphasizes the central role of chromosomes in inheritance and the necessity for cell division to be error-free. Maternal age and paternal age are both important factors in meiotic mistakes.