Tuesday, March 23, 2004
I had a really interesting lab session today on Drosophilia flies. We were just supposed to observe the flies under microscope and have an idea of how the wild types look like, how to differentiate males from females, how the mutants look like (they're many many types of mutants, can be eye colour mutant, wings shape/size mutant, hair/bristles mutant, body colour mutant). And me and my 2 other friends happened to see flies laying eggs and trying to lay eggs (one was shaking and trying to lay an egg and my friend actually went to press the stomach, how evil), and we caught 2 flies mating. It's all so interesting.
On another topic, my other friend was telling us about an experiment done on sense of humour. When asked, a female said a good sense of humour would be the ability to make her laugh, whereas a male said a good sense of humour would be ability to laugh at his jokes. Then she talked about how her dad tells unfunny jokes and how her mum always laughs at his jokes and how it was all so funny.
I did an experiment with my cashcard today. It all started because my cashcard had almost $5 in it and everytime I tried to buy drinks at the vending machine, it wouldn't read it and kept spitting my cashcard out. Then I needed to photocopy stuff at the library today, and as usual couldn't use my cashcard, so I borrowed from my friend. After that, my other friend said that the matri card could be used as a cashcard, which I didn't believe cos it doesn't have the sun picture behind it and that was why we were required to buy another cashcard if we wanted one. Then she tried her matri card at the photocopy machine, and it read an error. I put my cashcard in, and it read it! I could use it! Later at the bus stop I tried to see if the vending machine could read my cashcard, but it couldn't. So I took out my matri card and put it in, got an error message, stuck my cashcard in, and it read it. I'm simply amazed. I have finally found a way round the problem I have been facing for weeks/months.
Pearl's right. It felt good to be home for the weekend. It's been so long since I played my worthy piano. And it's full of dust - proof that my sis is not practising much on it. :( Always on the phone, always sms-ing. Ah, the evils of technology. I pity my piano. If only I could move it here, to my room. But then again, my sis is taking Grade 5 this year, going to catch up in 3 yrs' time. I'm gonna have to do my diploma quick and maybe start on a new instrument. Was lamenting on how insistent I was on learning the oboe in DHS that I missed out the chance of learning violin. If I had learnt violin then, I would have been able to play 2 instruments now.
11.50pm
Just finished taking basketball, tennis and volleyball team photos. Lousy photographer, took a photo with me being cut out of it, how irritating. The MPSH is really hot and stuffy, and the weather's not much of a comfort either. I feel really oily and sticky all over. German Semestertest 2 tomorrow, haven't started studying. And I look at my printer and wonder, how am I supposed to print my notes with the ink refusing to come out? Help!
You're the Falkland Islands!
You're pretty insignificant in the big picture, but when you have influence, it affects the most important people in your world. Sadly, you don't have much of a will or voice of your own, and it's hard to develop it when your big aspirations are to live on a farm. Your emotional life is stormy and windswept, but you have a few close friends that follow you like, well, sheep.
Take the Country Quiz at the Blue Pyramid.
You're Inherit the Wind by Jerome Lawrence and Robert E. Lee!
To you, the learning process is inherently about controversy. If people aren't having their minds stretched, how could they possibly be learning? This makes you a good but unpopular teacher, and the people around you are ready to make it a federal case. All you're asking them to do is evolve a little. But they would like you to be more creative. You would make an excellent lawyer, even though people think you love monkeys.
Take the Book Quiz at the Blue Pyramid.